Not only does Nepal border with Tibet, it boasts the tourist hub of South Asia. A great number of tourists enter Tibet through Kodari Border in Kathmandu by air or by road. According to the Chinese immigration regulation, travelers who enter Tibet from Nepal are required to apply for Group Tourist Visa, a kind of single entry visa, at the Chinese Embassy in Kathmandu.
Before going to Tibet, you need to confirm the itinerary and tour services with a local tour company, like Himalayan Trekking Company (www.himalayantrekking.com). You can authorize it to apply for Tibet travel permit on your behalf. Tourists are required to mail the scanned copy of their passports to the tour company in Lhasa. Then, they will get the Tibet Travel Permit and visa invitation letter issued by Tibet Tourism Bureau. It takes 5-7 working days to go through step one.
Be in Kathmandu at least two working days in advance. Contact us in Kathmandu, and leave your passport with them. Then, pay for the Chinese visa application and visa service.
VISA APPLYING TYPES:
Normal: 3 working days; Urgent: 2 working days; Top Urgent: 1 working day
The working day refers to Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.
The agency delivers the issued visa to your hotel in Kathmandu. You must bring the three documents with you as you leave for Tibet: Chinese Visa, photocopies of the Tibet Travel Permit and the application form.
1. Tibet Tourism Bureau does not accept individual applications for Tibet Travel Permit. Visitors must apply through a travel agent.
2. Chinese Embassy in Kathmandu neither accepts individual applications. Visitors need to go through the local Nepal travel agency.
3. The Visa is good for both Tibet and Mainland China. It is valid for the specified period of time which you confirm with the travel agency, usually no more than 30 days. Therefore, you should include your itinerary in both Mainland China and Tibet.
4. If you do not have a fixed plan in China, you should work with the agency to apply for the longest period of time, up to 30 days.
5. Please be aware that the group visa is a special type of visa to Tibet. A Chinese visa obtained before automatically expires when the new one is given.