The Dolpa to Rara Lake Trek drives you from the infertile scenes of Dolpa by means of Shey Gompa. Then, off you go into the boundless, thick elevated backwoods around Rara Lake. The trail will lead you from Dolpa to Rara Lake via Shey Gompa, two dazzling lakes, and the emerald green Phoksundo Lake. Finally, you reach the amazing Rara Lake, the biggest and the deepest freshwater lake in Nepal.
En route you will go by Shey Gompa, frequently alluded to as the spiritual heart of Upper Dolpo. It’s a breathtakingly beautiful place at the base of Crystal Mountain. Crystal Mountain is visited by several explorers (pilgrims mostly) every year who perform kora (circuit) around the mountain.
Sounds familiar? We like to consider it as Dolpa’s rendition of Mt. Kailash.
The Dolpa to Rara Lake Trek can be quite a challenging hike with four passes over 5,000 meters.
- Nagdalo La (5350 m),
- The Nyingma Gyanzen La (5563 m),
- The Yala La (5414 m) and,
- The Chyargo La (5150 m).
Furthermore, the trail extends over 4000 meters which means, extremely chilly evenings! That being said, the views and the atmosphere makes up for all of it. The exceptional scenes, the views from the passes, and the experience of a lifetime into a protected culture makes it all justified despite all the trouble.
There are a couple of fundamental teahouses on the trail yet bringing a tent is highly recommended for this trek. Contact us to customize/plan and book this epic Rara lake trek via Shey Gompa.
Day 1- Arrival Kathmandu
Day 2- Flight Kathmandu – Nepalgunj
Day 3- Flight Nepalgunj – Juphal (2475 m), trek to Shyanta (2520 m) or Chhepka (2830 m) 5-6 hrs
Day 4- Shyanta (2520 m) or Chhepka (2838 m) – Chunuwar near Amchi Hospital (3110 m) 6-7 hrs
Day 5- Chunuwar (3110 m) – Ringmo village near Phoksundo Lake (3641 m) 3 hrs
Day 6- Explore Ringmo village and Phoksundo Lake, visit Bon Gompa
Day 7- Ringmo – Forest Camp beyond Sallaghari (3730 m) 6 hrs
Day 8- Forest Camp (3730 m) – Kang La Low Camp (4400 m) 6-7 hrs
Day 9- Kang La Low Camp (4400 m) – Shey Gompa (4310 m) via Nagdalo-La (Kang La) pass (5350 m) 6-7 hrs
Day 10- Shey Gompa (4343 m). Rest day.
Day 11- Shey Gompa (4343 m) – Bhijer Gaon (3850 m) 8 hrs
Day 12- Bhijer Gaon (3850 m) – Pho (4087 m) via Yambur La pass (4813 m) 9 hrs
Day 13- Pho (4087 m) – Pung Kharka (4650 m) via Nyingma Gyanzen La pass (5563 m) 9 hrs
Day 14- Pung Kharka (4650 m) – Chyandi Khola (4830 m) via Yala La (5414 m) 6 hrs
Day 15- Chyandi Khola (4830 m) – Takla Khola (3785 m) 7 hrs
Day 16- Takla Khola (3785 m) – Thajuchaur (4050 m) via Chyargo La pass (5150 m) 7 hrs
Day 17- Thajuchaur (4050 m) – Shilenchaura Kharka (2945 m) 6 hrs
Day 18- Shilenchaura Kharka (2945 m) – Tiyar (2418 m) 3-4 hrs
Day 19- Tiyar (2418 m) – Mangri (1950 m) 4 hrs
Day 20- Mangri (1950 m) – Gamgadhi (2095 m) 4 hrs
Day 21- Gamgadhi (2095 m) – Rara Lake (2990 m) 4 hrs
Day 22- Rara Lake (2990 m). Rest day.
Day 23- Rara Lake (2990 m) – Talcha Airport (2200 m) 2-3 hrs walk and flight to Nepalgunj and onward flight to Kathmandu
Day 24- Departure from Kathmandu
- Airport / Hotel / Airport pick up & transfer by car / Van / Bus.
- 2- nights accommodation with breakfast at 3-star hotel in Kathmandu
- 1- night accommodation with breakfast at standard hotel in Nepalgunj
- 3-course meal (Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner) prepared by our cook during the trek
- Plenty of Hot drinks such as coffee, tea, chocolate, hot lemon
- Boiled drinking water during the trek
- Accommodation in Local guest house or tents during the trek
- 1 Experience licensed guide and his daily wage, food, accommodation, equipment, and Insurance
- Necessary porters and their food, accommodation, salary, equipment and their insurance.
- Round Trip flight from KTM-Nepalgunj-Talcha-Nepalgunj-KTM.
- Shey Phoksundo National Park permit.
- Lower Dolpo Restricted Area Permit.
- Government taxes.
- Nepal Visa fee (bring accurate USD cash and two passport photographs)
- International airfare to and from Kathmandu
- Excess baggage charges
- Extra night accommodation in Kathmandu because of early arrival, late departure, early return from mountain (due to any reason) than the scheduled itinerary
- Lunch and evening meals in Kathmandu
- Travel and rescue insurance
- Personal expenses (phone calls, laundry, bar bills, battery recharge, extra porters, bottle or boiled water, shower etc)
- Tips for guides and porters